Buy and sell shares online
If you’re happy making your own investment decisions, our online sharedealing platform puts you in control.
InvestDirect provides you with the tools to make informed investment decisions yourself. You can access interactive market research, set up share price alerts and test your trading strategies via a virtual portfolio.
You have full control over your investments and you can trade in UK and US equities, UK government bonds, investment trusts and a range of UK-listed exchange-traded funds.
Of course, the value of investments and any income they generate, can go down as well as up, meaning you may get back less than what you invest. Remember that exchange rate fluctuations can also cause the value of investments to go down as well as up.
InvestDirect doesn’t offer any investment advice. If you’re not sure about investing, please seek financial advice.
Are you eligible?
You can open a sharedealing account if you’re:
- an HSBC personal current account customer (excludes HSBC Basic Bank Account)
- registered for online banking
- a UK resident or UK Crown employee
- at least 18 years old
Features & benefits
- Trade online in UK shares for £10.50, or as low as £7.95 for frequent traders
- Quarterly account fee of £10.50 for the safe custody of your assets
- No extra costs for holding your investments in an ISA
- Access via your online banking – no new passwords
- See your trading balance every time you log on
- Transfer in investments you hold elsewhere
- To access your money, you can sell your shares at any time – however you should aim to invest for at least 5 years
Choice of 2 accounts
We offer 2 accounts that provide different investment options.
- Trade in UK equities, investment trusts, gilts (UK government bonds) and a range of UK-listed exchange-traded funds (ETFs)
- You’ll pay for shares through a settlement account that we set up for you which is linked to your HSBC current account
At no extra cost, InvestDirect Plus provides you with these added benefits:
- Trade in US equities listed on the New York Stock Exchange and NASDAQ
- Borrow against your investments to buy additional shares with our trading reserve facility
- Frequent trader tariff – after your 9th trade in a calendar quarter your online trading fee drops to just £7.95 for UK trades
- Open euro and dollar currency settlement accounts
Please note, the trading reserve facility is subject to approval and we ask you to deposit at least £10,000 of eligible shares in your InvestDirect Plus account before submitting your trading reserve application.
When you buy shares, we’ll hold them electronically on your behalf. You’ll still be the beneficial owner but by holding them in an account in our name, we can take care of all the administration for you. In other words, you can spend less time on paperwork and more time on your investment strategy.
Simple and clear fees
You pay a quarterly account fee of £10.50 which covers the costs of us running your account and administering your investments.
We’ll charge you a fixed fee for each trade – online trading in UK shares is £10.50, or as low as £7.95 for frequent traders.
Please note, other fees such as UK Stamp Duty Reserve Tax and a PTM Levy may apply.
To read more about our rates and fees, along with the key features of an InvestDirect account and our terms and conditions, click ‘Open a sharedealing account’ below.
Not an HSBC customer yet?
Questions you might have
How do I pay for shares?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
How do I invest via a stocks and shares ISA?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
How do I transfer existing investments to HSBC?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
What if I need to access my money?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
Do you give advice on investing?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
Key investment terms explained
What is investment risk?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
What are shares/equities?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
What are investment trusts?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
What are exchange-traded funds?Expanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
You might like
Wealth Insights for the UK
Get the HSBC view with exclusive analysis and insight
Your retirement checklist
Getting your finances ready for the retirement of your life
Why aren’t we planning ahead?
Go from immediate gratification to long-term satisfaction